Sunday, August 12, 2012

Magnetic makeup storage

I have a lot of makeup. Seriously. My supply would blow any makeup artist's away. I was constantly digging through caboodles and containers of makeup, looking for one thing and discovering some things I'd forgotten I had. I needed a way to organize it all so I could see it at a glance. This is the idea I found that works best for me.

I started with an oil drip pan from Walmart at $11.97. I got a couple fabrics and a ribbon I liked, and mod podged it to the front of the oil pan.
My lovely daughter modeling the automotive department special.
A crafter's best friend!
Walmart has packs of magnets in the foam/crafting section for $5.97 a pack. (I can't remember how many come in a pack...) I got mine shown here from Hobby Lobby on sale or with coupons for about $4 for 50. I used low-temp hot glue to attach magnets to the lids or backs of my makeup, so I could view the colors inside.
Went through these things like candy, I did.

The for the smaller, light containers, which made up the majority, one magnet did it. For others, like my large powder containers, I used four, so I could ensure they held tight. If I glued one on the wrong place, I just put the whole thing in the freezer for a couple minutes, and the hot glue was a cinch to separate from the magnet and the item- then I just re-glued.
Still in the works- lots more organizing to be done!
For the thinner lip items, I got heavy-duty adhesive Velcro. I stuck the stiff side across the board, right above the ribbon. I stuck a small piece of the soft side on the back of each item, and stuck to the board. No worries about stuff falling off- I'd be more worried about the adhesive giving out than the Velcro unsticking, and the adhesive is STRONG!

And the final result:
Makeup - Level: ADDICT!
I'll admit, I originally planned on hanging this thing on the wall behind my bathroom door, but it's too wide. (In hindsight, I should have measured first... I knew as soon as I brought the oil pan home that it wasn't going to fit, but decided to continue the project, anyway.) For now, I have it against a wall in my walk-in closet. It works for me, because it's only steps from my vanity, and I can select what I need and go. As I had to explain to boyfriend, this thing was not made to take up less space than all my caboodles and containers and bags that could be stored under the sink. But that's the point! I wanted to be able to see what I had at a glance. I wanted to know what colors I already had, so I wouldn't order doubles unless I really meant to. I wanted to be organized. And it works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment